National project Quality Use of Medicine - Consumer is a national project under Pharmaceutical Services Programme, Ministry of Health Malaysia. The programme is introduced to support the fourth component of Malaysian National Medicines Policy (Dasar Ubat Nasional, DUNas) which is quality use of medicines. The main objective of this project is to ensure that medicines are used wisely, appropriately, safely and cost-effectively for better health outcomes. Multiple strategies are used to achieve the objective
s, among them are through education, training and providing accurate medicine information to the consumers. Quality use of medicines are responsibility of healthcare provider and consumers. Both parties have important role in ensuring medicines are used in optimum manner to increase health outcomes.
The objectives of this campaign are to:
• increase consumer awareness of the quality use of medicines
• provide consumers with information on different issues related to health and medicine
• provide education and training in order to increase consumers’ knowledge on quality use of medicines
Below are the list of activities of Know Your Medicine Programme:
- Training of trainers Duta Kenali Ubat Anda.
- Exhibitions and talks on Know Your Medicines
- Radio and television interviews
- Continuous promotion through mass media
- Home visit (Duta Prihatin Masyarakat)
- Reviews and research on consumer perceptions and knowledge of medicine
If you are planning to organise such programme in your area, kindly contact the respective State Laison Officer.